Wednesday, September 28, 2011

In chess, it's called Zugzwang...when the only viable move, is not to move

So it's been a few days, my apologies.

We just got the ethane and ethene gases in and setup the apparatus I need to do my studies on.  There are many other gases around that I have been playing with as well.  It will soon be my turn on the x-ray diffractometer and I already have 3 samples ready to go.

This week has been a little more grueling.  I'm putting in more hours in the lab and reading more, will have to do some writing soon as well.  Yesterday morning, I went for a run, which I really don't often do.  I think I did a good 2 miles...quite pitiful in many respects, but for a person who doesn't run very much, it was nice to do.  Then I met up with Matteo at the Neelsie to watch the Italy/USA world cup of rugby game.  These games, are EXTREMELY entertaining.  The rules are somewhat lost on me but I'm learning them quite fast.  The USA put up quite a fight actually, got two tries, but lost 25-10.  Purchasing a springbok uniform is in my future.  Many of the american rugby players actually play for other teams in international leagues, one of which is Todd Clever, the USA captain for the Lions in South Africa's elite league.

I have also booked a surfing lesson in Strand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strand,_Western_Cape), about 25 km away from Stellenbosch.  Len has let me borrow his bike for the 15 mile trek to and fro.  The lesson includes wetsuit (the water is freezing), surfboard (most likely a longboard since they're easier), and a 75 minute lesson all for the low low price of R200, or $25.  Should I get better, I see myself doing this every single weekend and eventually getting to a shortboard set-up.  That is the goal.

Next weekend, will hopefully be shark diving.  Details TBA.

There is a movie theater here in the Neelsie, which doesn't show up to date movies really, just ones already out on dvd.  I met up with Matteo and his italian friend Federico, and we saw Mr. Nobody.  The movie ticket was R10, or $1.25.  I HIGHLY recommend the movie.  Easily one of my favorites.

The first gift shipment has been sent back home yesterday as well.  There will be many more to come so please don't feel left out if you haven't received anything as of yet.

Afrikaans lesson #3
paaldanskamer - "Pole dancing room"

I'm a bit torn on when I should go on safari, either around here or Kruger Reserve.  The Kruger is the largest reserve in South Africa and they have many packages for safari viewing.  People just basically want to see the Big Five game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_game), which is basically the five most difficult animals to hunt here.  Virtually none of these reserves guarantee seeing all these animals though.  So the larger the reserve, perhaps the less of a chance to see one of these animals, there's the rub.  Prices are high, almost $1,000 for a few days trip, but I can't leave here without doing it.

Miss you all.

CK

No comments:

Post a Comment