Sunday, October 23, 2011

Econ = Runs/Overs Bowled

An excellent weekend indeed.  Friday night was my first trip to the proper cinema since my arrival where we saw the 'new' release Contagion, which boasts an excellent insight into the modus operandi of disease control and prevention, highly dramatized of course.  One odd practice they do here is having assigned seating in the theaters, and you pick your seats when you purchase your ticket.  Intel passed onto me suggests that massive confrontations have occurred for movies that are sold-out in theaters without an assigned seating protocol.  

Those of you that are familiar with my culinary expertise in mexican cuisine should understand how much I enjoy cooking large amounts of food for close friends, which is exactly what happened on saturday.  Sadly, corn tortillas, a staple in many dishes, could not be found here, so flour tortillas had to do.  The company was fantastic, friends from the laboratory with the food prepared that day, and plenty of alcohol to go around, several times over.  Matteo's response after taking a bite: "oh, it's actually good."

Today was surfing in Strand again at high noon.  I can proudly say I never disembarked from the bike on the entire route there and back, but my legs are in pain.  Pride for pain...even trade-off.  Emiel was my teacher again today, and we started with an 8 foot board.  This time we also discussed proper paddling technique and how to maneuver the board in preparation for taking a wave.  These are exhausting practices, paddling just to get to the wave is a work-out in itself (balance and positioning whilest being bombarded with waves).  I didn't excel as much as I wanted to today, though the concepts were more technical today.  No one said it was going to be easy.  I'll be back there next week.  Emiel is a very patient and informative instructor, and antonym of Paul Rudd in this favorite movie scene:




There have been a plethora of cricket matches on tv the past few days.  As far as the rules are concerned, I'm still somewhat in the dark.  There can be a variety of points scored per bat, there are 6 balls thrown per over, the bowler runs up to the batting area to gain momentum before bowling, and when they hit the wickets, they are elated.  Trying to comprehend the sport reminded me of this brilliant clip from a very underrated movie, though the sport they talk about is somewhat fantasy, for comedic effect:


When I had arrived in Johannesburg, en route to Cape Town, the plane showed this advert for the South African rugby team, in time for the 2011 World Cup.  My likeness for bokkie the springbok is on par with Pascal from Tangled (which is an immense amount).


This week is going to be extremely busy.  I will hopefully update in the next few days.  We are about 28 days from my arrival back home.  I'm going to enjoy this for as long as I can, and return to you all safely.

Until then...miss you all.

-CK

No comments:

Post a Comment