Thursday, October 6, 2011

Jordana Bevan

just got back from another amazing movie
Submarine
so amazing
it came out last year
it's fantastic
under the radar
the theater plays "1000 to see before you die"
I've seen a few of them already, but matteo brings me along to see really good ones
he's good with movies
I miss home dearly
things have been good here, everyone is great to me
we're having a bbq tomorrow
coldplay was great
and I get to see penguins on saturday
I do miss home though
...I'm not ready to concede to the situation
perhaps it's the feel of the movie
it's really a fantastic movie
there's this post doc here
vincent
a really fun guy, older, about 37
great man
matteo is the italian post doc
full of hilarity
I get food at 10:30 and then again at noon
and asked me if it's my lunch or prelunch
I've met his friend federico, also an italian, very nice guy
helene, is a doll, a big sweetheart, who's fun to be around
she's taught me the swears, and other afrikaans words,
especially for, You are very pretty, and sweetheart
Yeah iz baie moy, liefie
respectively
leigh is very nice
proper
very good company to be around
Len is very endearing and the genius you would take him to be
just a brilliant way of thinking
doesn't have to talk much, and when he does, so insightful
sean, is so gifted
play so many instruments, very great at chemistry
young, he's got his whole academic career ahead of him
he will excel
laura jane, is a sweetheart, adorable and thinks of all the wonderful small things that most people breeze over
anneli, is beautiful, her and matteo bicker, but it's loving
I called her a poplap the other day
which is usually reserved for a married couple
but was sweet in explaining to me the gravity of the word
skattlebol is sweetheart too I think
I go to the same deli almost everyday
it's an older lady there who's at the register, but she's very attractive for being older
a little bigger too, but short blonde hair and blue eyes, with that adorable south african accent
remembers my name
I seem to talk, and they usually tell me when girls pass and look at me, because of how different I sound
it's quite nice
many beautiful women around here
not many obese people, they watch their figure
the style is a little different
but they rock it well
and there's a surplus of mullets sported by the men here or there
everyone loves the rugby matches, the springboks or the bokkies, as they call them
so into it
it's contagious really, these guys are the quinteseential definition of MEN
something I want to do, but I'm realizing it's just not in the cards
I can respect it for sure though
it's a wonderful piece of their nationality and culture
I just met welmarie at opskop last weekend
danced a little
and did the sokkie with her briefly
was very patient with me
two days later, went on a hike with her to Jonkershoek with other chem department members
they were all so very nice
accomodating
it's a sort of hospitality that I've never seen back home
the kind that makes you want to stay forever
and the kind that makes you sad, because it's lost on many others
I wish people met these people down here
so much hustle and bustle back home, they do their work here too, but they're more content with life it seems, no matter what they do
seems as though they're just concerned with helping people
for as unsavory as it sounded from others, it's quite the opposite
they love their tea
they have tea time after a speaker talks at a seminar
in the paaldanskamer
it's just the culture
haai is the afrikaans word for shark
so the joke is to say hi, though it could be haai, as a warning
so one must be careful saying 'hi' or 'haai' at the beach
driving by the coast yesterday on the way to cape town was absolutely beautiful
I couldn't shoot a good picture
maybe it's better that way
the beach was full of waves, whitewashing along the shore and further out
we saw seal island from afar
and the road is incredible, just your typical two lane road, one going to, one coming from, but there's sand dunes and vegetation all the way up to the road
sand covers the outside lines, followed by smooth asphalt, and the other side continues with sand
extraordinary
that stadium last night was gorgeous, capacity is normally 64,100
according to wiki
it was breathtaking

A proper post will follow sometime soon, these words seem to just flow during my conversation with Kayla today

No comments:

Post a Comment