Saturday, November 12, 2011

Club O.R. Tambo

Johannesburg is the world's largest city not situated on a body of water.  It sits on gold.

Afrikaans lesson #12
Jol/razzle - 'to party'

Though I didn't get the results that I would have liked from Stellenbosch, there were some pleasing developments my last day there, go figure.  Monday was my last salsa lesson with a warm farewell from my instructors Berlize and John.  Tuesday I saw 50/50, which I had been wanting to see ever since I left the states.  Wednesday was dinner at Anneli's to celebrate her new job and included a post dinner celebration at Opskop for one last razzle.  I got to dance Sokkie with a few afrikaans women and realized what I've been doing wrong: I'm too technical and I need to loosen up.  Thursday was the braai with all the close people I've met here.  Amazing food and great company, they sent me off on cloud 9. 

I was dropped off at Cape Town International by Helene, and headed on my way to Jozi after a heartfelt goodbye.  

I was picked up by Tegan, a little spitfire of a girl whom I met in 2009 on my euro trip.  She embodies the South African culture and is one of the most upbeat and poised women I've ever met.  The drive through the city is reminiscent of Cape Town a little, but with slightly more attractive townships and larger commercial areas.  There is definitely an east coast/west coast difference between the two cities.  People from Joburg say Cape Town sucks and vice versa, all due to the tempo of the respective places.  

Tegan has so graciously taken me in and has offered me her place to stay, which is immaculate.  I have my own room, bathroom, and am living in ultimate comfort.  



We headed to the store to get some groceries and figured out our mission for the night.
Enter Lauren:  a friend of Teags, sassy and fun, fetched me and helped me find some proper black shoes for the evening razzle (Converses are frowned upon, womp womp).  Gently pregaming before leaving, Lauren introduced me to this song, a new favorite:






Clapham Gold was the venue and I got to know Teagan's paramour Kyle on a more bru-level.  Total class act.  I was warned that women from Joburg are known for grabbing random guys walking past and...yeah.  Nonetheless, dancing quickly ensued with doubles of soco and lime and super juice.  




Super juice
(so͞opər jo͞os), noun - a concoction of several liquors including/but not limited to tequila, vodka, rum and 
soco with brutal fruit and other aliquots of somewhat anonymous 'poisons'.

After some late night shenanigans filled with rooks, tears, shots, and shuffling, we headed home.  There 
were a plethora of police checkpoints on the way home, it would seem as though drunk driving is quite 
a problem here.  

Today started off with a breakfast spread next to the pool and a departure to the rhino and lion park.  The
drive took us (us = T+K+L+CK) to Kromdraai.  We entered the park with the goals of getting up close 
with lions, watching them feed, and checking out Wonder Cave.  The pictures below speak a thousand 
words.













The Wonder Cave is a gorgeous cavern in the middle of the park, which was originally used by the Italians 
to mine Calcium Carbonate.  

They would then take the raw mineral and place them in the oven for 4-6 
weeks to yield lime, which they would then sell at the market for 50 cents/ton (quite a bit of money at that 
time but split among 40 workers or so).  They would also mine with only two candles as well.



Tonight is more of a chill night before my departure to Kruger Park tomorrow for safari.

New album is uploaded to FB

CK

1 comment: