Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Has Facebook made it to America yet?" -Dumbo

I'm sunburnt...how's winter coming along DC?


Afrikaans lesson #11
Trou met my - 'marry me'

My bittersweet last week here in Stellenbosch.  There is still a sizable amount to do, this week will be one of the busiest yet.  Experiments and saying goodbye to the people who have taken me in here, if I were to promise them that I'd return, I would feel very confident that I could fulfill it.

Thursday night, I headed to Mystic Boer once again to do some writing and reading.  So fitting that my second day here, I went there to do the same, I appreciate the symmetry in that.  I sat at the bar, refreshed by my Carling black label.  Sitting at the bar was Nicole, a distraught 19-year old with an immense passion for the band H.I.M.  I had sat down at the bar just as a conversation with her and an ex-paramour was ensuing, which was not ideal.  After sharing a tequila shot with the bartender who sensed her fragile state, she made conversation with me and inquired as to what I was writing about.  I gave her my story and offered her some space to write down how she was feeling, an opportunity she vastly needed and enjoyed.  Her friends Robyn and Robyn came to check on her as any good girlfriend would and we all struck up conversation.  The Robyns were charming, astonishingly beautiful, and quite compassionate.  They invited me along to Catwalks with them, which was empty, and allowed me to show off my American dance style, or lack thereof, on the higher platforms where XY's usually can't venture.  Robyn #1 then rendezvous'ed with Nicole and Robyn #2 and I headed to Entourage and Springboks, bedtime came at 2:30 in the am.  It was a perfect example of serendipity.

Saturday started off at the Cape Town planetarium with Leigh and LJvL after heading to the local market to get stuff for me mom.  How lucky was I to be accompanied by two great ladies.  The exhibit boats an impressive museum of natural history as well, more biological, less geological.  We then headed to Fairview wine estate for wine and cheese tasting.  The 8 wines we had were each paired with a cheese, also made on the farm and extremely delicious (shipping to the states is rather impossible, I tried).  One of them was spiced with Chakalaka, absolutely succulent.  A dozen more wine bottles are en route to the states as you read this.  Though I could send none home, that didn't prevent me from buying five packages of cheese, which may have been a dimwitted idea considering I have five days left here.  The evening then brought us back to 5 Rynevald to meet Leigh's brother, a DJ on a local radio station and celebrate his birthday with him.  I can say I have finally tried ostrich, and it was divine (highly recommend trying).

On a side note, the drive to Cape Town, by way of the N2 (highway), brings us along the poorer parts of South Africa.  Unfortunately, this is what most Americans (initially including myself) would expect the majority of Africa to be with roaming animals and rudimentary infrastructure.  As grim as the living conditions are, the sense of community is strong in these parts, and it's comforting to know that those less fortunate can still live with a sense of belonging and purpose.  Some of these shacks have satellite dishes too....weird:

Also, after dudes night at Gino's on friday, I've come to find out that the movie District 9 is inspired by the relocation of District 6 in Cape Town (even though the movie is set in Joburg).

Since my stay here and while frequenting some of the bars/clubs, I kept hearing this song over and over and could not pinpoint its title or creator for the life of me.  Most people know how frustrating this is and how it can drive into an almost obsession.  I figured I'd take this opportunity to ask Leigh's brother, who suggested it may be Avicci "Levels".  He was right, and it's been on repeat for the past hour (after the 1st minute, awesome).  This is probably already popular in the states, maybe I'm a bit behind:


Today was my last surf lesson with Emiel.  There was also a surf competition going on in Strand.  Today was probably the least successful in terms of progress.  I've learned all the basics and now I must learn to apply it all and at this point, it comes down to endurance and practice to navigate the waves.  It's been one of my life's goals to learn how to surf and I couldn't have done it without Emiel.  I wish him all the best.

After the lesson, I met back up with Ilna, Dumbo, and their friend 'Sarah' (sara is a dude, but was introduced to me by Dumbo as Sarah, I am in the dark as to his actual name.  After picking up some Biltong, which is like a beef jerky, we took a mini road trip, with the first stop being at Cool Bay.  Some people surf here as the waves are respectable, but the rocks pose a treacherous consequence for the inexperienced.  What was spectacular was the thunderous sound as the waves crashed on the beach, it's an indescribable feeling.



We then headed along the coast and stumbled upon a huge sand dune that people usually go dune surfing on.

Another side note, I am given much crap at home for being barefoot in odd places.  Walking barefoot is part of the culture here, barefoot in restaurants, in class (obviously not in the lab, there are rules here too), etc.  It's an accepted thing to do, and makes it that much harder to leave this place.



The dunes were awesome, and the sand rather cool due to the winds in the area.  We took in the sights, horseplayed a bit, and headed back.  The drive back included some off-roading and passing of apple orchards.  Dumbo was telling me that these orchards typically plant rose bushes along the road on the perimeter of their properties, not just for aesthetics, but since roses are quite sensitive to plant-borne diseases, it's a measuring stick for the health of the apple trees.  If the roses are dying, they can prevent the same for fate for the apples.  The seven-hour journey ended with me taking a 2 hour nap until early evening.

The Neelsie is barely populated tonight and the footy is on.  Time to get some work done.  14 days until I touch down in the motherland.  Let's hope for no lost limbs and muggings in this home stretch.

Newest FB album has been made (Part III).

Miss you all more than you know.

-CK

No comments:

Post a Comment